Monday, February 13, 2012

Happy Valentine's Day

Happy Valentine's Day to everyone out there!  As we get started, just know that we love all you needle crafters and hope that our Grand Opening will be a HUGE success.  Don't forget to spread the love and tell your friends about us. 

I was so happy that our knitting needles arrived!  Clover Takumi Velvet dpns, straight, and circular needles are all put away and ready to be shipped.  Some crochet hooks and other knitting accessories should be coming in next week as we get ready.

I have been working hard building the website, using Yahoo! and I'll be available for questions via email or phone as everything gets going.  I'm building and maintaining it myself to keep costs down.  We will be using PayPal to accept payment and you don't need a PayPal account to order from Midwest Yarn.  You will also be able to register an account with us, and your information will be protected by Yahoo! Security.

I'm trying to make the website as user-friendly as possible, including categories for yarn sorted by fiber, weight, and brand.  As we grow, the website will evolve with us.  So, make sure to tell us what works and what doesn't.  And don't worry, ordering online won't go away when a brick-and-mortar shop opens.

Shipping will be available via UPS (for US customers) and USPS (for international customers).  Orders over $50 to US customers will receive free shipping during our Grand Opening months (through August 2012).  Various other offers and savings will be offered throughout the year.

I also want to share an excerpt from my blog at Cherished Moments about this endeavor and my hopes for Midwest Yarn:

"I guess online yarn shops are somewhat taboo in the LYS industry.  I knew that, but I'm still plunging forward with the Midwest Yarn project.  I keep telling myself, 'You're not WEBS, not Yarn Market, you're Midwest Yarn.  You're online to raise capital for the brick-and-mortar shop.'  I'm hoping that this mantra will help me through the Grand Opening jitters.  This is a HUGE investment and I don't want to fail.  Small business profits go to feeding families, not paying for undeserved bonuses or padding the bank account.

I'll still be knitting, I'll still be designing, and at some point, maybe I'll be able to hire an assistant or bring on a business partner to allow me to be more involved in the industry.  My mission is to promote the longevity of needlecrafts like ours.  I don't want to step on any toes, I want to bring people my age and younger on board...

Let's get my generation and the next into the mix!"

With that being said, I'm committed to making Midwest Yarn successful, getting to know my customers, creating innovative ways to teach knit and crochet, and providing excellent customer service.

No comments:

Post a Comment